[openstack-dev] [neutron][security][rootwrap] Proposal to replace rootwrap/sudo with privsep helper process (for neutron, but others too)

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Fri Feb 13 04:41:21 UTC 2015

So inspired by the "Rootwrap on root-intensive nodes" thread, I went and
wrote a proof-of-concept privsep daemon for neutron:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/155631
There's nothing neutron-specific in the core mechanism and it could easily
be moved out into a common (oslo) library and reused across other projects.

The basic principles guiding a few design choices were:
- it had to be obvious what code would run with elevated privileges
- the interface between that and the rest of the system had to be easy to
understand and audit
- it had to be about as easy as just implementing a function to add new
functionality

The current code does the predictable things to get a privileged buddy
process: assumes you started as root, creates a socketpair, forks, keeps
limited perms and setuids the privileged process, then reads commands over
the socket.  When the socket closes (for whatever reason), the daemon exits.

Currently it scrobbles around below the neutron.agent.privileged._commands
namespace and allows you to invoke any normal function that doesn't start
start with an underscore.  I think I will change this to use some sort of
more explicit decorator, but you get the idea.

On the client side, it generates client stubs of all the same functions
below neutron.agent.privileged.commands at import-time.  Using the daemon
is then as simple as just calling the client stub:

    from neutron.agent.privileged import daemon as privsep_daemon
    def main():
        privsep_daemon.start()

    from neutron.agent.privileged.commands import ip_lib as priv_ip
    def foo():
        # Need to create a new veth interface pair - that usually requires
root/NET_ADMIN
        priv_ip.CreateLink('veth', 'veth0', peer='veth1')

Because we now have elevated privileges directly (on the privileged daemon
side) without having to shell out through sudo, we can do all sorts of
nicer things like just using netlink directly to configure networking.
This avoids the overhead of executing subcommands, the ugliness (and
danger) of generating command lines and regex parsing output, and make us
less reliant on specific versions of command line tools (since the kernel
API should be very stable).
I demonstrate some of that in the above change by a set of privileged ipset
functions that still call out to commands but don't use sh -c or sudo
anywhere (so are immune to shell metacharacters in arguments), and ip_lib
functions that use pyroute2 to just call netlink directly for network
interface create/delete/update.

Please discuss.  I could have done this in a spec, but I felt the basic
concept and motivation was obvious and the code specifics were of such
importance that this was better explored in a poc change.  I can post-facto
write a spec if it turns out folks would prefer that.

 - Gus

(if you're curious, it took about a day to write the code, and then about 3
long days of debugging eventlet-related conflicts with the 3rd party
libraries I'd just pulled in.  +1 to removing eventlet, particularly in
low-concurrent-queries agent processes where we can presumably just remove
it and use system threads without any further thought)