[openstack-dev] [TripleO] update on Puppet integration in Kilo

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 21:07:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
> I wanted to take a few minutes to go over the progress we've made with
> TripleO Puppet in Kilo so far.
>
> For those unfamilar with the efforts our initial goal was to be able to
> use Puppet as the configuration tool for a TripleO deployment stack.
> This is largely built around a Heat capability added in Icehouse called
> Software Deployments. By making use of use of the Software Deployment
> Puppet hook and building our images with a few puppet specific elements
> we can integrate with puppet as a configuration tool. There has been no
> blueprint on this effort... blueprints seemed a bit ridged for the task
> at hand. After demo'ing the proof of concept patches in Paris we've been
> tracking progress on an etherpad here:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/puppet-integration-in-heat-tripleo
>
> Lots of details in that etherpad. But I would like to highlight a few
> things:
>
> As of a week or so all of the code needed to run devtest_overcloud.sh to
> completion using Puppet (and Fedora packages) has landed. Several
> upstream TripleO developers have been successful in setting up a Puppet
> overcloud using this process.
>
> As of last Friday We have a running CI job! I'm actually very excited
> about this one for several reasons. First CI is going to be crucial in
> completing the rest of the puppet feature work around HA, etc. Second
> because this job does require packages... and a fairly recent Heat
> release we are using a new upstream packaging tool called Delorean.
> Delorean makes it very easy to "go back in time" so if the upstream
> packages break for some reason plugging in a stable repo from yesterday,
> or 5 minutes ago should be a quick fix... Lots of things to potentially
> talk about in this area around CI on various projects.

I also wanted to point out that I've posted a WIP element that can be
used in place of the existing seed-stack-config element to build a
seed vm using the Puppet modules:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153375/

I'm going to keep working on this and aim to get the CI job updated to
use this as well, so that we can go seed -> overcloud with the
configuration/installation all driven by the Puppet modules.

> The puppet deployment is also proving to be quite configurable. We have
> a Heat template parameter called 'EnablePackageInstall' which can be
> used to enable or disable Yum package installation at deployment time.
> So if you want to do traditional image based deployment with images
> containing all of your packages you can do that (no Yum repositories
> required). Or if you want to roll out images and install or upgrade
> packages at deployment time (rather than image build time) you can do
> that too... all by simply modifying this parameter. I think this sort of
> configurability should prove useful to those who want a bit of choice
> with regards to how packages and the like get installed.

I like how this reduces the need for customized images upfront for
those who would choose this route.

--
-- James Slagle