[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Plugins] Versioning, branching, tagging

Andrey Epifanov aepifanov at mirantis.com
Thu Feb 12 16:31:44 UTC 2015

Hello!

I would like to discuss which policy we want to recommend for the
versioning, branching and tagging for FUEL plugins and how it should
correlate with FUEL/MOS versions/releases.
According Fuel Plug-in Guide
<http://docs.mirantis.com/openstack/fuel/fuel-6.0/plugin-dev.html#metadata-yaml>
we recommend to use the following standard (
<http://semver.org/>Semantic Versioning 2.0.0 <http://semver.org/>)
<http://semver.org/> for the plugin versioning. IMO, it is a good idea,
because in this case we have independent development process and release
cycle from the FUEL/MOS. But very often we will need to find out which
versions of FUEL/MOS is supported by each version of plugin and vice
versa. Of course, we can checkout each version and look into
metadata.yaml which contain a list of supported releases of FUEL/MOS,
but it is not very convenient. For this purpose we can store this list
in the commit message for each tag. It is allow us very quick and easily
to get dependencies between plugin versions and FUEL/MOS releases,
usging simple command: *git tag -n10*. It  also will be very convenient
for the CI process.

What do you think about it?

/Thanks and Best Regards,
Andrey./