[openstack-dev] [nova] Question about force_host skip filters

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Feb 12 15:10:25 UTC 2015

On 02/12/2015 03:44 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

> Any action done by the operator is always more important than what the Scheduler
> could decide. So, in an emergency situation, the operator wants to force a
> migration to an host, we need to accept it and do it, even if it doesn't match
> what the Scheduler could decide (and could violate any policy)
>
> That's a *force* action, so please leave the operator decide.

Are we suggesting that the operator would/should only ever specify a specific
host if the situation is an emergency?

If not, then perhaps it would make sense to have it go through the scheduler
filters even if a host is specified.  We could then have a "--force" flag that
would proceed anyways even if the filters don't match.

There are some cases (provider networks or PCI passthrough for example) where it
really makes no sense to try and run an instance on a compute node that wouldn't
pass the scheduler filters.  Maybe it would make the most sense to specify a
list of which filters to override while still using the others.

Chris