[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Feb 12 13:21:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 10:37 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Right. You can't prevent occasional private discussions and pings, and
> you shouldn't. It's when you encourage and officialize them (by for
> example creating a channel for them) that things start to go bad.

Yes, that's very bad. Private IRC channels are a bad habit that
reinforces a bad, anti-social behavior. And IRC is mostly a habit: I
join tens of channels but I regularly read one or two. Most people I
know have similar habits.

Private conversations are a fact of life but in OpenStack space they
should be the *exception*, created when needed and destroyed after the
crisis.

I have private conversations all the time: they are about specific
individuals, include sensitive data, legal issues that cannot be
diffused and similar. I create a private channel or a PM for that
conversation only.

I don't hang out with others in a private channel: that's a very bad
habit. if you have a private channel you hangout there, you'll read that
channel, share jokes on that and will eventually throw in there topics
to discuss that are perfectly safe to discuss publicly.