[openstack-dev] Feature Freeze Exception for hyper-v unit tests refactoring

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 12:28:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:18:49PM +0000, Claudiu Belu wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I would like to request a FFE for the Hyper-V unit tests refactoring blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/hyper-v-test-refactoring
>
> The point of the blueprint was to get rid of the ancient test_hypervapi.py tests, that use mox, as they prove more and more difficult to maintain, especially when adding new features or fixing bugs. Those tests would be replaced with mock unit tests, per Ops class.
>
> There were 11 commits in total, 6 already merged, 5 remain. Out of these 5, the last 2 are trivial:

> [4] https://review.openstack.org/148980 - unit tests for methods that have 1 instruction each. Just to have coverage on all the modules.
>
> [5] https://review.openstack.org/139798 - just removes test_hypervapi.py
>
> The commits have been reviewed, already have a couple of +1s.
>

> Note: this blueprint is limited to the Hyper-V unit tests and does not
> change the functionality of the Driver in any way. It is barely worthy
> of the name blueprint and I consider it more of a bug, rather than a
> blueprint. This will improve maintainability, readability and coverage
> for the Hyper-V classes.

Yeah, I personally don't think this kind of code cleanup requires a
blueprint at all, and probably doesn't even need a bug either. So
from my POV you don't need to even request this FFE - I'd be happy
with those tests cleanups being merged any time except for during
the very final code freeze before release. Lets see if other nova
cores agree...

Regards,
Daniel