[openstack-dev] [Manila]Question about gateway-mediated-with-ganesha

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 06:56:53 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 7:32 AM, Li, Chen <chen.li at intel.com> wrote:

>  Yes,  I’m asking about plans for gateway-mediated-with-ganesha.
>
> I want to know what would you do to achieve “*And later the Ganesha core
> would be extended to use the infrastructure used by generic driver to
> provide network separated multi-tenancy. The core would manage Ganesha
> service running in the service VMs, and the VMs themselves that reside in
> share networks.*”
>
> Because after I studied current infrastructure of generic driver,  I guess
> directly use it for Ganesha would now work.

You may be right, but we cannot be sure until we test, qualify, validate
against a real setup. Also there is no infrastrucutre to run Ganesha in
service VM, so the major work would be to bundle Ganesha and make it
available as a service VM image and use that image instead of the existing
service VM image. Csaba and Ramana (in CC) can comment more on this.

>  This is what I have learned from code:
>

> Manila create service_network and service_subnet based on configurations
> in manila.conf:
>
> *    service_network_name =  manila_service_network*
>
>     service_network_cidr =  10.254.0.0/16

So even if the service_network or service_subnet is not created, this
information from the conf file can be used by the network admin to
bridge/connect the service network (whenever it comes up) with the
host/provider network.

>      service_network_division_mask = 28
>

> service_network is created when manila-share service start.
>
> service_subnet is created when manila-share service  get a share create
> command, and no share-server exists for current share-network.
>
> ð  Service_subnet create at the same time as share-server created.

Thanks for clarifying.

thanx,
deepak