[openstack-dev] [Heat][All] Unicode support to object names

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 12 10:04:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

Seeing that there have been some complaints about the Unicode support to
stack names and resource names in Heat, I have tried to fix it in Heat
[1]. I have also posted questions regarding logging Unicode but the
finding was that my devstack environment is not starting 'screen'
sessions with Unicode support.

So, here is my question. Do we have some recommended solution to support
naming objects in Unicode? I know it is a little bit complicated for
Heat because stack names may appear in URIs of ReST calls. That is
something we can fix in V2 API, IMO. My question is really about in
general how each projects are dealing with this problem?

As a reference, AWS has a rule for 'ResourceName' defined as:

[\u0020-\uD7FF\uE000-\uFFFD\uD800\uDC00-\uDBFF\uDFFF\r\n\t]*

Thanks.

Regards,
  Qiming