[openstack-dev] [devstack] Compute-node-only installation fails

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Feb 11 16:32:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015, at 08:18 AM, Alexander Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> with your recent change[1] to error handling in stack.sh, compute
> node only installations via devstack fail because there is
> no database selected. A database should not be required on
> compute nodes.
>
> Was this done intentionally? lib/database explicitly says:
>
> # If ``DATABASE_TYPE`` is unset here no database was selected
> # This is not an error as multi-node installs will do this on the
> compute nodes

> Regards,
> Alex

We have been setting DATABASE_TYPE [0] so did not notice. Seems like a
reasonable work around for now and does not install a database server
(the enabled services list seems to do that). If the intended behavior
is to not need to set DATABASE_TYPE we should probably revert the
devstack change then update devstack-gate's compute node localrc
generation to remove DATABASE_TYPE so that breakage of the behavior has
a chance of being caught early.

[0]
http://logs.openstack.org/79/136179/5/experimental/check-tempest-dsvm-aiopcpu/6f5193e/logs/10.209.161.148-subnode/localrc.txt.gz

Clark