[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Feb 11 16:24:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015, at 11:15 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-02-11 11:31:13 +0000 (+0000), Kuvaja, Erno wrote:
> [...]
> > If you don't belong to the group of privileged living in the area
> > and receiving free ticket somehow or company paying your
> > participation you're not included. $600 + travel + accommodation
> > is quite hefty premium to be included, not really FOSS.
> [...]
>
> Here I have to respectfully disagree. Anyone who uploads a change to
> an official OpenStack source code repository for review and has it
> approved/merged since Juno release day gets a 100% discount comp
> voucher for the full conference and design summit coming up in May.
> In addition, much like a lot of other large free software projects
> do for their conferences, the OpenStack Foundation sets aside
> funding[1] to cover travel and lodging for participants who need it.
> Let's (continue to) make sure this _is_ "really FOSS," and that any
> of our contributors who want to be involved can be involved.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Travel_Support_Program

Good reminder, Jeremy.

The travel program is in place to help contributors who wouldn't
otherwise be able to attend. Thanks to the commitment of generous
corporate sponsors, we've had success bringing a range of participants
to the past several summits -- not all of them developers. Everyone who
would like to attend the summit but won't have other sponsorship should
go to the wiki page to submit an application for the Vancouver summit.

Doug