[openstack-dev] [stable] juno is fubar in the gate

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Feb 9 23:19:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 03:10:28PM -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 2/9/2015 2:56 PM, Matthew Treinish wrote:

> >>Tracking etherpad:
> >>
> >>https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/wedged-stable-gate-feb-2015
> >

> >So I think it's time we called the icehouse branch and marked it EOL. We
> >originally conditioned the longer support window on extra people stepping
> >forward to keep things working. I believe this latest issue is just the latest
> >indication that this hasn't happened. Issue 1 listed above is being caused by
> >the icehouse branch during upgrades. The fact that a stable release was pushed
> >at the same time things were wedged on the juno branch is just the latest
> >evidence to me that things aren't being maintained as they should be. Looking at
> >the #openstack-qa irc log from today or the etherpad about trying to sort this
> >issue should be an indication that no one has stepped up to help with the
> >maintenance and it shows given the poor state of the branch.
> >
> >If I'm not mistaken with our original support window lengths Icehouse would be
> >EOL'd around now. So it's time we stopped pretending we'll be maintaining this
> >branch for several more months and just go through the normal EOL procedure.
> >
> >-Matt Treinish
> >

> Until we've figured out what's going on and how to unwind it (maybe it's
> just jogo's changes that are blocked right now due to wedged
> stable/icehouse), I'd -1 this.  I think branchless tempest is definitely
> running into some issues here with requirements being uncapped and that's
> throwing a huge wrench into things and EOL'ing stable/icehouse at this point
> kind of gives an easy out w/o first have the full picture of what's busted
> and why we can't work out of it.

I disagree, I feel we've got a pretty good handle on what the cause of the
latest issues here are, the etherpad outlines things pretty well. Additionally,
part of the set of patches from jogo are attempting to address the tempest
install issue by isolating the tempest tox venv from the rest of the python deps
so the divergent reqs aren't an issue in the future. However, we can't land any
of that without unwinding this whole mess.

The other aspect here is this is not just the latest issue. The issues around
the maintenance of icehouse branch has been a continual issue. I know I've had
to personally go and sort out tons of issues on the icehouse branch (mostly
related to new library releases) the past few months because it ends up blocking
tempest development.

-Matt Treinish