[openstack-dev] [stable] juno is fubar in the gate

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Feb 9 20:56:42 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 01:24:34PM -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 2/9/2015 12:23 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> >
> >On Feb 9, 2015 10:04 AM, "Matt Riedemann" <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
> ><mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > > There are at least two blocking bugs:
> > >
> > > 1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/grenade/+bug/1419913
> > >
> > > Sounds like jogo is working a javelin fix for this. I'm not aware of
> >a patch to review though.
> >
> >We need to stop trying to install tempest in the same env as stable/* code.
> >
> >I should be able to revise/respond to comments shortly.
> >
> >https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153080/
> >
> >https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153702/
> >
> >This is also blocking my effort to pin stable dependencies (Dean's
> >devstack changes are needed before we can pin stable dependencies as well).
> >

> > > 2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1419919
> > >
> > > I'm not sure yet what's going on with this one.
> > >

> Tracking etherpad:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/wedged-stable-gate-feb-2015

So I think it's time we called the icehouse branch and marked it EOL. We
originally conditioned the longer support window on extra people stepping
forward to keep things working. I believe this latest issue is just the latest
indication that this hasn't happened. Issue 1 listed above is being caused by
the icehouse branch during upgrades. The fact that a stable release was pushed
at the same time things were wedged on the juno branch is just the latest
evidence to me that things aren't being maintained as they should be. Looking at
the #openstack-qa irc log from today or the etherpad about trying to sort this
issue should be an indication that no one has stepped up to help with the
maintenance and it shows given the poor state of the branch.

If I'm not mistaken with our original support window lengths Icehouse would be
EOL'd around now. So it's time we stopped pretending we'll be maintaining this
branch for several more months and just go through the normal EOL procedure.

-Matt Treinish