[openstack-dev] [Murano] Translation usage suggestion

Serg Melikyan smelikyan at mirantis.com
Mon Feb 9 09:15:51 UTC 2015

I think all proposed actions make sense, and I strongly agree that we need
to start working on them and finish them in Kilo cycle scope.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Ekaterina Chernova <efedorova at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Recently we have discussed the log and exception translations and have not
> come to a decision.
>
> I've made some research and found a useful documents:
>

>    - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandards#Log_Translation
>    - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Translations
>

> Here two main points, that I can highlight
>
> * "*Exception text should **not** be marked for translation,*
>     because if an exception occurs there is no guarantee that the
> translation machinery will be functional."
>
> ** "Debug level log messages are not translated"*
>
> Some projects do not follow these rules, but I suggest to take them into
> consideration and perform the following actions:
>
>    - First of all, we should remove gettext utils usage and replace it
>    with oslo.i18n;
>    - Remove exception messages translation;
>    - Add log translation to info, warn and error log level (and
>    log.exception which creates log.error message).
>
> Note, that different log levels can be separated to different files. It's
> also supported to have different log files for different languages.
>
> What do you think?

Serg Melikyan, Senior Software Engineer at Mirantis, Inc.
http://mirantis.com | smelikyan at mirantis.com

+7 (495) 640-4904, 0261
+7 (903) 156-0836