[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Passthrough of PF's from SR-IOV capable devices.

Irena Berezovsky irenab.dev at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 08:11:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
Support for "normal" PCI device passthrough for networking in SR-IOV like
way will require new VIF Driver support for hostdev style device guest XML
being created and some call invocation to set MAC address and VLAN tag.

> > > 2) There is no functional reason from a Libvirt/Qemu perspective that I
> > > couldn't
> > > pass through a PF to a guest, and some users have expressed surprise
> to me
> > > when they have run into this check in the Nova driver. I assume in the
> > > initial
> > > implementation this was prevented to avoid a whole heap of fun
> additional
> > > logic
> > > that is required if this is allowed (e.g. check that no VFs from the PF
> > > being
> > > requested are already in use, remove all the associated VFs from the
> pool
> > > when
> > > assigning the PF, who gets allowed to use PFs versus VFs etc.). Am I
> > > correct here
> > > or is there another reason that this would be undesirable to allow in
> > > future -
> > > assuming such checks can also be designed - that I am missing?
> > >
> > I think that is correct. But even if the additional logic was
> implemented  it
> > wouldn't work because of how libvirt behaves currently.
>
> Again though, in the code we have a distinction between a physical device
> (as I was asking about in Q1) and a physical function (as I am asking about
> in Q2) and similarly whether libvirt allows or not depends on how you
> configure in the guest XML. Though I wouldn't be surprised on the PF case
> if it is in fact not allowed in Libvirt (even with <hostdev>) it is again
> important to consider this distinctly separate from passing through the
> physical device case which we DO allow currently in the code I'm asking
> about.

I think what you suggest is not difficult to support, but current (since
Juno) PCI device passthrough  for networking is all about SR-IOV PCI device
passthrough. As I mentioned, to support  "normal" PCI device will require
libvirt VIF Driver adjustment. I think its possible to make this work with
existing neutron ML2 SRIOV Mechanism Driver.