[openstack-dev] [nova] stuck patches at the nova IRC meeting

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Feb 6 15:51:04 UTC 2015

On 2/6/2015 7:20 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> Ok, my bad. When I proposed this part of the Nova meeting I was also
> thinking about "lost" patches where a couple of weeks had gone by
> without any negative feedback and the patch author got a chance to
> advocate for it. That's how we used it in Tempest meetings.
>
> The theory being that engaging in more communication might help with
> having patches be a little closer to what's needed for merge.
>
> On 02/05/2015 07:46 PM, Michael Still wrote:
>> Certainly it was my intent when I created that agenda item to cover
>> reviews that wouldn't otherwise reach a decision -- either two cores
>> wedged, or something else that we can't resolve trivially in gerrit.
>>
>> Now, I can see that people don't like reviews sitting for a long time,
>> but that's probably too long a list to cover in an IRC meeting. I'm
>> not opposed to trying, but we should set expectations that we're going
>> to talk about only a few important reviews, not the dozens that are
>> unloved.
>>
>> Michael

>>> I was under the same impression.
>>>
>>> Stuck reviews were for reviewws were there was strong disagreement (amongst
>>> cores)
>>> Other reviews can be discussed as part of "Open discussion"
>>>
>>> Yours Tony.

We also have this [1].  That shows unloved reviews which have been open
for a long time (by latest revision, 72 days currently), by oldest
revision without a negative score (76 days currently), and oldest
reviews since first revision (247 days currently).

I don't know if just slapping that link into the nova meeting agenda
would help at all, but maybe we could take the top 3 oldest changes out
of there and post those for each meeting agenda to get people to focus
on them?

[1] http://russellbryant.net/openstack-stats/nova-openreviews.html

Matt Riedemann