[openstack-dev] [infra][project-config][oslo.messaging] Pre-driver requirements split-up initiative

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 6 14:00:36 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-06 14:37:08 +0200 (+0200), Denis Makogon wrote:
> As part of oslo.messaging initiative to split up requirements into
> certain list of per messaging driver dependencies
[...]

I'm curious what the end goal is here... when someone does `pip
install oslo.messaging` what do you/they expect to get installed?
Your run-parts style "requirements.d" plan is sort of
counter-intuitive to me in that I would expect it to contain
number-prefixed sublists of requirements which should be processed
collectively in an alphanumeric sort order, but I get the impression
this is not the goal of the mechanism (I'll be somewhat relieved if
you tell me I'm mistaken in that regard).

> Taking into account suggestion from Monty Taylor i’m bringing this
> discussion to much wider audience. And the question is: aren’t we
> doing something complex or are there any less complex ways to
> accomplish the initial idea of splitting requirements?

As for taking this to a wider audience we (OpenStack) are already
venturing into special snowflake territory with PBR, however
requirements.txt is a convention used at least somewhat outside of
OpenStack-related Python projects. It might make sense to get input
from the broader Python packaging community on something like this
before we end up alienating ourselves from them entirely.
--
Jeremy Stanley