[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Passthrough of PF's from SR-IOV capable devices.

Czesnowicz, Przemyslaw przemyslaw.czesnowicz at intel.com
Thu Feb 5 17:49:45 UTC 2015

Hi

> 1) If the device is a "normal" PCI device, but is a network card, am I still able to
> take advantage of the advanced syntax added circa Juno to define the
> relationship between that card and a given physical network so that the
> scheduler can place accordingly (and does this still use the ML2 mech drvier for
> SR-IOV even though it's a "normal" device.

Actually libvirt won't allow using "normal" PCI devices for network interfaces into VM.
Following error is thrown by libvirt 1.2.9.1:
libvirtError: unsupported configuration: Interface type hostdev is currently supported on SR-IOV Virtual Functions only

I don't know why libvirt prohibits that. But we should prohibit that on Openstack side as well.

> 2) There is no functional reason from a Libvirt/Qemu perspective that I couldn't
> pass through a PF to a guest, and some users have expressed surprise to me
> when they have run into this check in the Nova driver. I assume in the initial
> implementation this was prevented to avoid a whole heap of fun additional logic
> that is required if this is allowed (e.g. check that no VFs from the PF being
> requested are already in use, remove all the associated VFs from the pool when
> assigning the PF, who gets allowed to use PFs versus VFs etc.). Am I correct here
> or is there another reason that this would be undesirable to allow in future -
> assuming such checks can also be designed - that I am missing?

I think that is correct. But even if the additional logic was implemented  it wouldn't work because of how libvirt behaves currently.

Regards
Przemek