[openstack-dev] [neutron] IPv6 Status

Brian Haley brian.haley at hp.com
Thu Feb 5 16:10:10 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 05:38 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On 02/05/2015 09:14 AM, Andreas Scheuring wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> is there a central place where I can find a matrix (or something similar)
>> that shows what is currently supposed to work in the sense of IPv6
>> Networking?

I'm not sure there's a matrix, but there are a number of updates coming in
Kilo, check https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/kilo for the IPv6 ones.

Most of the bug fixes are tagged and can be found here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bugs?field.tag=ipv6

>> I also had a look at a couple of blueprints out there, but I'm looking
>> for a simple overview containing what's supported, on which features are
>> people working on and what's future. I mean all the good stuff for Tenant
>> Networks like
>
>> - SNAT - FloatingIP - External Provider Networks - DVR - fwaas,
>> vpnaas,...

There will be no default SNATv6 or Floating IPv6 as decided at the Kilo Summit
- - they're really not necessary if the VM has a global address.

Probably the best thing for you to do is spin-up a devstack with IPv6 enabled
and see how things work, putting these in local.conf will enable both DVR and
IPv6 (assuming you have RECLONE=yes):

	Q_DVR_MODE=dvr_snat

	# to enable IPv4 and IPv6
	IP_VERSION=4+6

>> and also about the Host Network - e.g. vxlan/gre tunneling via ipv6 host
>> network...
>
> AFAIK it's not supported by OVS yet. The last time I talked to a guy who
> worked on the feature, he told me that it will take some time, and it will
> probably be VXLAN only. (Unless someone steps in.)

OVS/VXLAN w/IPv6 is not supported, pointer to thread:

http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-January/016344.html

- -Brian