[openstack-dev] [nova] memory reporting for huge pages

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 09:48:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 05:35:55PM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> As part of
> "https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/virt-driver-large-pages" we
> have introduced the ability to specify based on flavor/image that we want to
> use huge pages.
>
> Is there a way to query the number of huge pages available on each NUMA node
> of each compute node?
>
> I haven't been able to find one (short of querying the database directly)
> and it's proven somewhat frustrating.
>
> Currently we report the total amount of memory available, but when that can
> be broken up into several page sizes and multiple NUMA nodes per compute
> node it can be very difficult to determine whether a given flavor/image is
> bootable within the network, or to debug any issues that occur.

We did not as yet do any work to extend reporting of information about
compute hosts to the cloud admin. There is obviously some scope todo that
so they can do capacity reporting & planning more effectively.

Note however that we explicitly don't want to go in the direction of having
the users explicitly requesting resources from specific hosts based on this
kind of info.

Regards,
Daniel