[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt] Logging interactions of libvirt + QEMU in Nova

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 16:18:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 11:15:18AM -0500, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Daniel, Kashyap,
>
> One question that came up on IRC was, how/where to configure say a
> directory where core dumps from qemu would end up. Sean was seeing a
> scenario where he noticed a core dump from qemu in dmesg/syslog and
> was wondering how to specify a directory to capture a core dump
> if/when it occurs.

That's really outside the scope of libvirt.  On Fedora/RHEL there is
the abrt program, which captures core dumps from any process in the
entire OS and has configurable actions for where to save them. IIUC
Ubuntu has some general purpose core dump handler too but I don't know
much about it myself. They all work by hooking into the kernel's
core_pattern  sysctl knob to redirect core dumps to their own binary
instead of using $CWD

Regards,
Daniel