[openstack-dev] [neutron] high dhcp lease times in neutron deployments considered harmful (or not???)

Brian Haley brian.haley at hp.com
Tue Feb 3 16:53:16 UTC 2015

On 02/03/2015 05:10 AM, Kevin Benton wrote:
>>The unicast DHCP will make it to the "wire", but if you've renumbered the
> subnet either a) the DHCP server won't respond because it's IP has changed as
> well; or b) the DHCP server won't respond because there is no mapping for the VM
> on it's old subnet.
>
> We aren't changing the DHCP server's IP here. The process that I saw was to add
> a subnet and start moving VMs over. It's not 'b' either, because the server
> generates a DHCPNAK in response and which will immediately cause the client to
> release/renew. I have verified this behavior already and recorded a packet
> capture for you.[1]
>
> In the capture, the renewal value is 4 seconds. I captured one renewal before
> the IP address change from 99.99.99.5 to 10.0.0.25 took place. You can see on
> the next renewal, the DHCP server immediately generates a NACK. The client then
> releases its address, requests a new one, assigns it and ACKs within a couple of
> seconds.

Thanks for the trace.  So one thing I noticed is that this unicast DHCP only got
to the server since you created a second subnet on this network (dest MAC of
packet was that of same router interface).  If you had created a second network
and subnet this would have been dropped (different broadcast domain).  These
little differences are things users need to know because they lead to heads
banging on desks :(

>>This would happen if the AZ their VM was in went offline as well, at which
> point they would change their design to be more cloud-aware than it was.  Let's
> not heap all the blame on neutron - the user is tasked with vetting that
> their decisions meet the requirements they desire by thoroughly testing it.
>
> An availability zone going offline is not the same as an API operation that
> takes a day to apply. In an internal cloud, maintenance for AZs can be
> advertised and planned around by tenants running single-AZ services. Even if you
> want to reference a public cloud, look how much of the Internet breaks when
> Amazon's us-east-1a or us-east-1d AZs have issues. Even though people are
> supposed to be bringing cattle to the cloud, a huge portion already have pets
> that they are attached to or that they can't convert into cattle.

You completely missed the context of my reply Kevin - an AZ failure is not a
planned event.  You said people bring pets along, and rebooting them is painful.
 I said that's a bad design because other things can cause it to go offline, for
example:

	1. Compute node failure
	2. Network node failure
	3. Router/switch failure
	4. Internet failure
	99. API call

All the user knows is they can't reach their VM - the cause doesn't matter when
they can't sell their widgets to customers because their site is down.  If it
takes 10 minutes for them to re-create their instance elsewhere that cannot be
blamed on neutron, even if it was our API call that caused it to go offline.

> If our floating IP 'associate' action took 12 hours to take effect on a running
> instance, would telling users to reboot their instances to apply floating IPs
> faster be okay? I would certainly heap the blame on Neutron there.

The difference in a port IP change API call is that it requires action on the
VMs part that neutron can't trigger immediately.  It's still asynchronous like a
floating IP call, but the delay is typically going to be longer.  All we can say
is it will take from (0 -> interval) seconds.  How is warning the user about
this a bad thing?

>>How about a big (*) next to all the things that could cause issues?  :)
>
> You want to put it next to all of the API calls to put the burden on the users.
> I want to put it next to the DHCP renewal interval in the config files to put
> the burden on the operators. :)
>
> (*) Increasing this value will increase the delay between API calls and when
> they take effect on the data plane for any that depend on DHCP to relay the
> information. (e.g. port IP/subnet changes, port dhcp option changes, subnet
> gateways, subnet routes, subnet DNS servers, etc)

There is no delay in the API call here, the port was updated just as the user
requested.  Since they can't see into my config file (unless they look at their
lease info or run a tcpdump trace) they are essentially making a blind change
that immediately affects their instance.

And adding a DHCP option to tell them to renew more frequently doesn't fix the
problem, it only lessens it to ~(interval/2) - that might not be acceptable to
users and they need to know the danger.  This is the one point I've been trying
to get across in this whole discussion - these are advanced options that users
need to take caution with, neutron can only do so much.

-Brian