[openstack-dev] [api][nova] Openstack HTTP error codes

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 00:55:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/29/2015 12:41 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
>
>> Correct. This actually came up at the Nova mid cycle in a side
>> conversation with Ironic and Neutron folks.
>>
>> HTTP error codes are not sufficiently granular to describe what happens
>> when a REST service goes wrong, especially if it goes wrong in a way
>> that would let the client do something other than blindly try the same
>> request, or fail.
>>
>> Having a standard json error payload would be really nice.
>>
>> {
>>       fault: ComputeFeatureUnsupportedOnInstanceType,
>>       messsage: "This compute feature is not supported on this kind of
>> instance type. If you need this feature please use a different instance
>> type. See your cloud provider for options."
>> }
>>
>> That would let us surface more specific errors.
>>
> <snip>
>

>> Standardization here from the API WG would be really great.
>>

> What about having a separate HTTP header that indicates the "OpenStack
> Error Code", along with a generated URI for finding more information about
> the error?
>
> Something like:

> That way is completely backwards compatible (since we wouldn't be changing
> response payloads) and we could handle i18n entirely via the HTTP help
> service running on errors.openstack.org.

So I'm +1 to adding the X-OpenStack-Error-Code header assuming the error
code is unique
across OpenStack APIs and it has a fixed meaning (we never change it,
create a new one if
a project has a need for an error code which is close to the original one
but a bit different)

The X-OpenStack-Error-Help-URI header I'm not sure about. We can't
guarantee that apps will have
access to errors.openstack.org - is there an assumption here that we'd
build/ship an error translation service?

Regards,

Chris