[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt] RFC: ensuring live migration ends

Andrew Laski andrew.laski at rackspace.com
Mon Feb 2 18:21:31 UTC 2015

> On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 11:19:45AM -0500, Andrew Laski wrote:
>>> There has been periodic talk about a generic "tasks API" in Nova for managing
>>> long running operations and getting information about their progress, but I
>>> am not sure what the status of that is. It would obviously be applicable to
>>> migration if that's a route we took.
>> Currently the status of a tasks API is that it would happen after the API
>> v2.1 microversions work has created a suitable framework in which to add
>> tasks to the API.
> So is all work on tasks blocked by the microversions support ? I would have
> though that would only block places where we need to modify existing APIs.
> Are we not able to add APIs for listing / cancelling tasks as new APIs
> without such a dependency on microversions ?

Tasks work is certainly not blocked on waiting for microversions. There
is a large amount of non API facing work that could be done to move
forward the idea of a task driving state changes within Nova. I would
very likely be working on that if I wasn't currently spending much of my
time on cells v2.