[openstack-dev] [api][nova] Openstack HTTP error codes

Feodor Tersin ftersin at cloudscaling.com
Mon Feb 2 11:10:21 UTC 2015

Hi Ken,

1 imageRef isn't the only attribute, which could receive an image id. There
are kernelId, ramdiskId, and even bdm v2 as well. So we couldn't guess
which attribute has the invalid value.

2 Besides NotFound case, other mixed cases are there. Such as attaching of
a volume. A mountpoint can be busy, or the volume can be used by an other
instance - both cases generate a conflict error. Do you suggest to use
specially formatted message in all such cases (when the same http error
code has several reasons)? But to make a work with Nova API
straightforward, all messages should have this format, even in simplest
cases.

3 How to parse a localized message? A Nova API client shouldn't use en_us
locale only to communicate with Nova, because it should display messages
generated by Nova to an end user.