[openstack-dev] [puppet] [neutron] Serious bug in puppet neutron cli json output parsing.

Sofer Athlan-Guyot sathlang at redhat.com
Wed Dec 30 16:37:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have added neutron people as they may help to find a solution.

After banging my head against the wall for a whole afternoon I
discovered a serious bug in puppet neutron module.

I not going to repeat here the detail of the bug report[1].  Basically:
 - neutron_port
 - neutron_subnet
 - neutron_router
 - neutron_network

may break idempotency randomly and won't work at all when clifftablib is
removed from the package dependency of python-openstackclient
(Mitaka[2])

So the problem is that neutron cli json output on liberty (at least, and
maybe before) is not consistent and may come from cliff or clifftablib.
I didn't test it but the same may apply to openstack cli. As we don't
use the openstack cli json output it's not a issue (for puppet modules)

The available solution I can see are:
 2. find a way to leverage openstacklib parsing for neutron as well
 3. keep json and parse the right output (cliff) and find a way to make
    sure that it is always used by stevedore
 4. ?

>From my point of view 3) is not a option, but other may disagree.

The problem is tricky and the fact that the CI cannot detect this is
trickier[4].

So before Mitaka, the json parsing should go.  I would love to see an
interface that all puppet modules would use (solution 2).  The current
openstacklib parses openstack client well enough.  The neutron command
is not that different and I think there is space for code reuse.  This
would be a long term solution.  It would bring the advantage of having
only one interface to change if it was decided to use the API directly
for instance[5]

In the meantime, a quick solution to this bug must be found.

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/puppet-neutron/+bug/1530163
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-neutronclient/+bug/1529914