[openstack-dev] [kolla] Adding Ubuntu Liberty to Kolla-Mitaka

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Dec 29 08:51:40 UTC 2015

On 12/28/2015 05:16 PM, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I have received significant feedback that the lack of Ubuntu binary
> support is a problem for Kolla adoption.  Still, we had nobody to do the
> work, so we held off approving the blueprint.  There were other reasons
> such as:
>
>   * There is no delorean style repository for debian meaning we would
>     always be installing Liberty with our Mitaka tree

While its true that Canonical isn't providing packages between releases,
I am doing so in Debian: I do publish each and every beta releases of
OpenStack backported for Jessie on non-debian-official repositories.

If we get enough people working on the Debian packaging (which means:
more than just me right now...), then I may at some point be able to do
packaging from trunk as well. I already wrote the scripts in Jenkins to
do so, but what's blocking me is having enough time to do the 3rd party
and OpenStack libraries update.

I would very much like if the Kolla project was reusing my work on the
Debian packaging. I would be very supportive of that, and will do as
much as I can to help.

Currently, my packages work out of the box in Debian, and can be rebuilt
for Ubuntu Trusty. Upstream puppet also work out of the box. The only
thing, if you use Ubuntu, is to install a file in
/etc/facter/facts.d/os_package_type.txt containing
"os_package_type=debian" (to tell puppet that you're using Debian type
of packages on top of Ubuntu, which will influence package and service
naming, needed to handle the packaging differences in Nova, Neutron and
Horizon).

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)