[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Wipe of the nodes' disks

Alex Schultz aschultz at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 24 14:27:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 1:29 AM, Artur Svechnikov
<asvechnikov at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have faced the issue that nodes' disks are wiped after stop deployment.
> It occurs due to the logic of nodes removing (this is old logic and it's not
> actual already as I understand). This logic contains step which calls
> erase_node[0], also there is another method with wipe of disks [1]. AFAIK it
> was needed for smooth cobbler provision and ensure that nodes will not be
> booted from disk when it shouldn't. Instead of cobbler we use IBP from
> fuel-agent where current partition table is wiped before provision stage.
> And use disks wiping for insurance that nodes will not booted from disk
> doesn't seem good solution. I want to propose not to wipe disks and simply
> unset bootable flag from node disks.
>
> Please share your thoughts. Perhaps some other components use the fact that
> disks are wiped after node removing or stop deployment. If it's so, then
> please tell about it.
>
> [0]
> https://github.com/openstack/fuel-astute/blob/master/lib/astute/nodes_remover.rb#L132-L137
> [1]
> https://github.com/openstack/fuel-astute/blob/master/lib/astute/ssh_actions/ssh_erase_nodes.rb

I thought the erase_node[0] mcollective action was the process that
cleared a node's disks after their removal from an environment. When
do we use the ssh_erase_nodes?  Is it a fall back mechanism if the
mcollective fails?  My understanding on the history is based around
needing to have the partitions and data wiped so that the LVM groups
and other partition information does not interfere with the
installation process the next time the node is provisioned.  That
might have been a side effect of cobbler and we should test if it's
still an issue for IBP.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://github.com/openstack/fuel-astute/blob/master/mcagents/erase_node.rb