[openstack-dev] [Nova][Glance] Xenplugin + Glance_v2 = Hate

Mikhail Fedosin mfedosin at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 24 13:51:26 UTC 2015

Hello! As you may know there is a big initiative to adopt glance v2 api in
Nova and the important part is making related changes in xenglugin.
Unfortunately xenplugin doesn't use neither nova.image api nor
glanceclient. Instead of this it has own http client implementation and
bunch of hardcoded 'v1' urls (example,
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/plugins/xenserver/xenapi/etc/xapi.d/plugins/glance#L130).
It leads to the fact, that it will be really hard to switch it on v2 api
right.

Personally I see 2 solutions:
1. Make xenplugin to adopt nova.image api, which will make it
version-agnostic. Here it's not easy to implement and we won't be able to
keep backward compatibility with the existing lowlevel code.
2. Also hardcode v2 urls on par with v1 and do the same thing as in
nova.image - to determine current glance api version before request and
then use appropriate urls in methods.

IMHO, the second solution is more preferable, because I understand how to
do it and the v1/v2 compatibility will be 100%. It guarantees that we won't
break any of existing deployments and it will allow to merge glance_v2 code
in nova.image much quicker.

All opinions and advice will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

--
Best regards,
Mikhail Fedosin