[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Is Swift a good choice of database for the TripleO API?

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Dec 23 09:22:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23 2015, Dougal Matthews wrote:

> Good to know, thanks. I guess the remaining issue would be with the work
> Tomas Sedovic mentioned. It sounds like Swift might not work well there.

Right, reply below.

On Tue, Dec 22 2015, Tomas Sedovic wrote:

> At minimum, we'd have to store the validation results somewhere and be able to
> query them per stage, validation and (optionally) plan. That could be done in
> Swift or filesystem/git as well, but we'd have to write code to handle indexing
> and querying and at that point using a DB seems easier.

Yes, as long as you don't need proper indexing, you can go with Swift
(or any object storage), otherwise, it's starting to be blurry. That's
why we have a composite solution in Gnocchi: we store data file (time
series) in Swift containers (or Ceph pools), and for many operations, we
don't rely on our SQL index, as listing a container is enough. This
makes many operation largely scalable and distributive.

Though, as soon as you need something like "the list of time series of
this user", you need an index. And that's where (and only where) we
start poking our SQL index.

Now, if your data files are pretty small and can easily fit in a RDBMS,
it's worth questioning the object storage usage at all indeed.

My 2ç,

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker