[openstack-dev] [devstack][QA] Changing logging format to match documented defaults

Ronald Bradford me at ronaldbradford.com
Tue Dec 22 18:55:28 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I have observed that devstack uses custom logging formatting that differs
from the documented defaults. An example is for nova.

logging_context_format_string = %(asctime)s.%(msecs)03d %(levelname)s
%(name)s [%(request_id)s *%(user_name)s %(project_name)s*]
%(instance)s%(message)s

which is defined in [1] , compared with

logging_context_format_string = %(asctime)s.%(msecs)03d %(levelname)s
%(name)s [%(request_id)s *%(user_identity)s*] %(instance)s%(message)s

which is the current Liberty specified default [2].  This infact is the
Oslo Logging default value and then can effectively be not defined at all.

In my manual tests I see not see failures when changing this in nova, but
as I know Infra and QA relies on devstack I would like to solicit feedback
from team members before proposing any changes to bring these to being
consistent.  This logging variable is also defined differently across 4
projects (nova, cinder, keystone and glance) so ultimately the goal would
be to ensure they may present documented configuration defaults.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/lib/nova#n580
[2]
http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/list-of-compute-config-options.html#config_table_nova_logging

Regards