[openstack-dev] [oslo][nova][all] timeutils deprecation removals will break Nova

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Dec 21 17:32:30 UTC 2015

On 12/20/2015 9:57 AM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Nova folks,
>
> We have this review in oslo.utils:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/252898/
>
> There were failed effort in the past to cleanup in Nova:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/164753/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197601/
>
> What do we do? Suggestions please.
>
> Thanks,
> Dims

I have a -1 on the change, will state the same reason here. Without a
cap on oslo.utils in stable/liberty g-r, this will break at least nova
in stable/liberty since it's a backward incompatible change.

As with most things now, I think the path forward is getting nova onto
the new code, raise the min required version of oslo.utils in mitaka to
where the new methods were added (that's probably already the case if
the deprecation happened awhile ago), and then the deprecated functions
can't be removed until liberty-eol.

Matt Riedemann