[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Gnocchi] inconsistent instance attributes cause infinite update

Luo Gangyi lgy181 at foxmail.com
Sun Dec 20 15:52:38 UTC 2015

Hi devs,

 I found a problem which may cause infinite update of instance's attributes in gnocchi.

 Let's see the resource definition of instance.

   - resource_type: instance
    metrics:
      - 'instance'
      - 'memory'
      - 'memory.usage'
      - 'memory.resident'
      - 'vcpus'
      - 'cpu'
      - 'cpu_util'
      - 'disk.root.size'
     attributes:
      host: resource_metadata.host
      image_ref: resource_metadata.image_ref_url

 Here is the problem, although they have same  attributes, they are *not* same.

 Some of them came from nova's notifications and the others are came from ceilometer-compute-agent.

 1) Those came from notifications, their attributes looks like

 image_ref :http://10.133.12.125:9292/images/
 host: compute.lgy-openstack-kilo.novalocal

 2) Those came from ceilometer-compute-agent,
 image_ref : http://10.133.12.125:8774/4994e42421a04beda56fff7d817e810e/images/8d6a9cd9-48ae-4a41-bd13-262a46c93d72
 host:ea8f8e465d9caff06e80a0fda6f30d02725e0b55dc0fd940954cb55c

 Such difference will cause alternately and infinitely update of a instance's attributes if we enable nova audit.

 So I suggest we seperate these meters which came from notifications to another resource type like "instance_from_notification".

 Any other idea?

 Luo Gangyi   luogangyi at chinamobile.com