[openstack-dev] [openstack][magnum] Quota for Magnum Resources

Wed Dec 16 23:44:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 22:48 +0000, Adrian Otto wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2015, at 2:25 PM, James Bottomley <
> James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com<mailto:
> James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 20:35 +0000, Adrian Otto wrote:
> Clint,
>
> On Dec 16, 2015, at 11:56 AM, Tim Bell <tim.bell at cern.ch<mailto:
> tim.bell at cern.ch>> wrote:

I think we might be talking a bit past each other.  My definition of
"real" is end user visible.  So in the fork bomb example below the end
user visible (and billable) panel just gives a choice for "memory".
 The provider policy divides this into user memory and kernel memory,
usually in a fixed ratio and then imposes that on the cgroup.

> The idea of hard coding system wide limits into the system is making
> my stomach turn. If you wanted to change the limit you’d need to edit
> the production system’s configuration, and restart the API services.
> Yuck! That’s why we put quotas/limits into OpenStack to begin with,
> so that we had a sensible, visible, account-level configurable place
> to configure limits.

I don't believe anyone advocated for hard coding.  I was just saying
that the view that Quota == Real End User Visible resource limits is a
valid way of looking at things because it forces you to think about
what the end user sees.  The fact that the service provided uses the
mechanism for abuse prevention is also valid, but you wouldn't usually
want the end user to see it.  Even in a private cloud, you'll have this
distinction between end user and cloud administrator.  Conversely,
taking the mechanistic view that anything you can do with the mechanism
constitutes a quota and should be exposed pushes the issue up to the
UI/UX layer to sort out.

Perhaps this whole thing is just a semantic question of does quota mean
mechanism or policy.  I think the latter, but I suppose it's possible
to take the view it's the former ... in which case we just need more
precision.

James