[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [Nova] continuing the "multiple compute host" discussion

James Penick jpenick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 20:40:56 UTC 2015

>Affinity is mostly meaningless with baremetal. It's entirely a
>virtualization related thing. If you try and group things by TOR, or
>chassis, or anything else, it's going to start meaning something entirely
>different than it means in Nova,

I disagree, in fact, we need TOR and power affinity/anti-affinity for VMs
as well as baremetal. As an example, there are cases where certain compute
resources move significant amounts of data between one or two other
instances, but you want to ensure those instances are not on the same
hypervisor. In that scenario it makes sense to have instances on different
hypervisors, but on the same TOR to reduce unnecessary traffic across the
fabric.

>and it would probably be better to just
>make lots of AZ's and have users choose their AZ mix appropriately,
>since that is the real meaning of AZ's.

Yes, at some level certain things should be expressed in the form of an AZ,
power seems like a good candidate for that. But , expressing something like
a TOR as an AZ in an environment with hundreds of thousands of physical
hosts, would not scale. Further, it would require users to have a deeper
understanding of datacenter toplogy, which is exactly the opposite of why
IaaS exists.

The whole point of a service-oriented infrastructure is to be able to give
the end user the ability to boot compute resources that match a variety of
constraints, and have those resources selected and provisioned for them. IE
"Give me 12 instances of m1.blah, all running Linux, and make sure they're
spread across 6 different TORs and 2 different power domains in network
zone Blah."