[openstack-dev] [All][Bareon][Fuel][Ironic] New project: Bareon (provisioning system)

Evgeniy L eli at mirantis.com
Wed Dec 16 12:00:49 UTC 2015

We are happy to introduce Bareon [0], which is a fork of fuel_agent [1]
project which have been developed under Fuel’s umbrella.

Bareon provides flexible and data driven interface to perform actions
which are related to operating system installation. In contrary to standard
kickstart and preseed ways of installation, Bareon provides a uniform
interface for system configuration. Higher level of flexibility is open via
this interface for other tools and products, such as Ironic [2] or Fuel.
It is to be a tool similar to old plain OS installation tools like anaconda
or debian-installer but drastically more convenient.

To summarise what Bareon is:
* flexible partitioning system
* image building functionality, mostly non-cloud use-cases that assume
  advanced partitioning, OS upgrading, in-place image building
* image/repo based provisioning

We decided to continue developing it as separate from Fuel project for
several reasons:
* it solves a set of problems which are not Fuel specific, with “fuel”
prefix
  in the name people may think that it’s intended to be used only with Fuel
* it's easier to contribute to a small standalone project than to find your
way
  around all the components of a large project such as Fuel
* to have separate roadmap [3] with its own release cycle and team, we
  really want to have small releases more often, it’ll be easier to do for a
  small project

fuel_agent repository and the project will exist for some time not to
disrupt
Fuel’s roadmap and its release cycle, after we finish full renaming and
required
refactoring, Fuel will be switched to Bareon.

Currently we are working on cleaning repository to finish renaming [4].
In case if you have any questions join us on #openstack-bareon irc channel.
We are going to arrange Bareon meetings soon, stay tuned.

Thanks!

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Bareon
[1] https://github.com/openstack/fuel-agent
[2]