[openstack-dev] [neutron] How could an L2 agent extension access agent methods ?

Rossella Sblendido rsblendido at suse.com
Tue Dec 15 17:44:43 UTC 2015

Hi Ihar,

wow, good job!!
Sorry for the very slow reply.
I really like your proposal...some comments inline.

On 12/03/2015 04:46 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Small update on the RFE. It was approved for Mitaka, assuming we come up
> with proper details upfront thru neutron-specs process.
>
> In the meantime, we have found more use cases for flow management among
> features in development: QoS DSCP, also the new OF based firewall
> driver. Both authors for those new features independently realized that
> agent does not currently play nice with flows set by external code due
> to its graceful restart behaviour when rules with unknown cookies are
> cleaned up. [The agent uses a random session uuid() to mark rules that
> belong to its current run.]
>
> Before I proceed, full disclosure: I know almost nothing about OpenFlow
> capabilities, so some pieces below may make no sense. I tried to come up
> with high level model first and then try to map it to available OF
> features. Please don’t hesitate to comment, I like to learn new stuff! ;)

I am not an expert either so I encourage people to chime in here.

> I am thinking lately on the use cases we collected so far. One common
> need for all features that were seen to be interested in proper
> integration with Open vSwitch agent is to be able to manage feature
> specific flows on br-int and br-tun. There are other things that
> projects may need, like patch ports, though I am still struggling with
> the question of whether it may be postponed or avoided for phase 1.
>
> There are several specific operation 'kinds' that we should cover for
> the RFE:
> - managing flows that modify frames in-place;
> - managing flows that redirect frames.
>
> There are some things that should be considered to make features
> cooperate with the agent and other extensions:
> - feature flows should have proper priorities based on their ‘kind’
> (f.e. in-place modification probably go before redirections);
> - feature flows should survive flow reset that may be triggered by the
> agent;
> - feature flows should survive flow reset without data plane disruption
> (=they should support graceful restart:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/182920).
>
> With that in mind, I see the following high level design for the flow
> tables:
>
> - table 0 serves as a dispatcher for specific features;
> - each feature gets one or more tables, one per flow ‘kind’ needed;
> - for each feature table, a new flow entry is added to table 0 that
> would redirect to feature specific table; the rule will be triggered
> only if OF metadata is not updated inside the feature table (see the
> next bullet); the rule will have priority that is defined for the ‘kind’
> of the operation that is implemented by the table it redirects to;
> -  each feature table will have default actions that will 1) mark OF
> metadata for the frame as processed by the feature; 2) redirect back to
> table 0;
> - all feature specific flow rules (except dispatcher rules) belong to
> feature tables;
>
> Now, the workflow for extensions that are interested in setting flows
> would be:
> - on initialize() call, extension defines feature tables it will need;

Do you mean this in a dynamic way or every extension will have tables
assigned, basically hard-coded? I prefer the second way so we have more
controls of the tables that are currently used.

> it passes the name of the feature table and the ‘kind’ of the actions it
> will execute; with that, the following is initialized by the agent: 1)

It would be nice to pass also a filter to match some packets. We
probably don't want to send all the packet to the feature table, the
extension can define that.

> table 0 dispatcher entry to redirect frames into feature table; the
> entry has the priority according to the ‘kind’ of the table; 2) the

I think we need to define the priority better. According to what you
wrote we assign priority based on "in-place modification probably go
before redirections" not sure if it's enough. What happens if we have
two features that both requires in place-modifications? How do we
prioritize them? Are we going to allow 2 extension at the same time? Let
me think more about this...It would be nice to have some real world
example...

> actual feature table with two default rules (update metadata and push
> back to table 0);
> - whenever extension needs to add a new flow rule, it passes the
> following into the agent: 1) table name; 2) flow specific parameters
> (actions, priority, ...)
>
> Since the agent will manage setting flows for extensions, it will be
> able to use the active agent cookie for all feature flows; next time the
> agent is restarted, it should be able to respin extension flows with no
> data plane disruption. [Note: we should make sure that on agent restart,
> we call to extensions *before* we clean up stale flow rules.]

I like this :)

> That design will hopefully allow us to abstract interaction with flows
> from extensions into management code inside the agent. It should
> guarantee extensions cooperate properly assuming they properly define
> their priorities thru ‘kinds’ of tables they have.
>
> It is also assumed that existing flow based features integrated into the
> agent (dvr? anti-spoofing?) will eventually move to the new flow table
> management model.

Good candidates for a POC of this model?

thanks,

Rossella