[openstack-dev] [neutron][taas] neutron ovs-agent deletes taas flows

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 14:30:23 UTC 2015

Soichi Shigeta <shigeta.soichi at jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>   We find a problem that neutron ovs-agent deletes taas flows.
>
>   o) Problem description:
>
>      Background:
>       At Liberty, a bug fix to drop only old flows was merged
>       to Neutron.
>       When ovs-agent is restarted, the cleanup logic drops flow
>       entries unless they are stamped by agent_uuid (recorded as
>       a cookie).
>
>       bug: #1383674
>            "Restarting neutron openvswitch agent causes network
>             hiccup by throwing away all flows"
>            https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1383674
>
>       commit: 73673beacd75a2d9f51f15b284f1b458d32e992e (patch)
> https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/commit/?id=73673beacd75a2d9f51f15b284f1b458d32e992e
>

>      Problem:
>       Cleanup will be done only once, but it seems not to work
>       until port configuration is changed.
>
>       Therefore, taas flows will be deleted as follows:
>        1. Start a new compute node or restart an existing compute node.
>        2. Start taas agent on the compute node.
>           --> taas agent creates flows
>               (these flows are not stamped by using ovs-agent's uuid)
>        3. Deploy a vm on the compute node.
>           --> 1. neutron changes port configuration
>               2. subsequently, the cleanup logic is invoked
>               3. ovs-agent drops taas flows
>
>      Specifically, following taas flows in br_tun are dropped:
>      -----
>       table=35, priority=2,reg0=0x0 actions=resubmit(,36)
>       table=35, priority=1,reg0=0x1 actions=resubmit(,36)
>       table=35, priority=1,reg0=0x2 actions=resubmit(,37)
>      -----
>
>      log in q-agt.log
>      -----
> neutron.plugins.ml2.drivers.openvswitch.agent.openflow.ovs_ofctl.ofswitch
>         req-e5739280-7116-4802-b5ba-d6964b4c5557 Deleting flow
>         cookie=0x0, duration=434.59s, table=35, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0,
>         idle_age=434, priority=2,reg0=0x0 actions=resubmit(,36)
> neutron.plugins.ml2.drivers.openvswitch.agent.openflow.ovs_ofctl.ofswitch
>         req-e5739280-7116-4802-b5ba-d6964b4c5557 Deleting flow
>         cookie=0x0, duration=434.587s, table=35, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0,
>         idle_age=434, priority=1,reg0=0x1 actions=resubmit(,36)
> neutron.plugins.ml2.drivers.openvswitch.agent.openflow.ovs_ofctl.ofswitch
>         req-e5739280-7116-4802-b5ba-d6964b4c5557 Deleting flow
>         cookie=0x0, duration=434.583s, table=35, n_packets=0, n_bytes=0,
>         idle_age=434, priority=1,reg0=0x2 actions=resubmit(,37)
>      -----
>

>   o) Impact for TaaS:
>
>      Because flows in br_tun are dropped by the cleanup logic, mirrored
>      packets will not send to a monitoring vm running on another host.
>
>      Note: Mirrored packets are sent in case of both source vm and
>            monitoring vm are running on the same host. (not affected by
>            flows in br_tun)
>

>   o) How to reproduce:
>
>      1. Start a new compute node or restart an existing compute node.
>         (Actually, restarting ovs-agent is enough.)
> [...]

API proposal with some consideration for flow cleanup not dropping flows
for external code is covered in the following email thread:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/081264.html

I believe you would need to adopt the extensions API once it’s in, moving
from setup with a separate agent for your feature to l2 agent extension for
taas that will run inside OVS agent.

Ihar