[openstack-dev] [docs][stable][ironic] Stable branch docs

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Dec 15 00:05:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 06:42:13AM -0800, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the big tent, project teams are expected to maintain their own
> install guides within their projects' source tree. There's a
> conversation going on over in the docs list[1] about changing this, but
> in the meantime...
>
> Ironic (and presumably other projects) publish versioned documentation,
> which includes the install guide. For example, our kilo install guide is
> here[2]. However, there's no way to update those, as stable branch
> policy[3] only allows for important bug fixes to be backported. For
> example, this patch[4] was blocked for this reason (among others).

The stable guide[1] was recently changed[2] to allow just this thing,
essentially at the discretion of the stable teams, both stable-maint-core and
project specific.

So I'd hazard a guess that if the patch you point out were to follow the
documented procedure (clean backport with matching Change-ID done with cherry-pick
-x)[3] It'd come down to ironic to decide if it was a good candidate.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#appropriate-fixes
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/247415/1
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StableBranch#Processes [4]
[4] Yes this should be part of the project-team-guide, /me fixes that.

Yours Tony.