[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Regarding v2 LoadBalancer's status(es)

Bryan Jones jonesbr at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 14 21:19:43 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I had a few issues/questions regarding the statuses (provisioning_status
and operating_status) of a v2 LoadBalancer. To preface these, I am working
on the LBaaS v2 support in Heat.

The first question regards the allowed values for each of
provisioning_status and operating status. Here it seems the documentation
is ambiguous. [1] provides a list of possible statuses, but does not
mention if they are options for provisioning_status or operating_status.
[2] provides much clearer options for each status, but does not show the
INACTIVE status mention in [1]. Should INACTIVE be included in the possible
options for one of the statuses, or should it be removed from [1]
altogether?

Second, [1] also mentions that an error_details attribute will be provided
if the status is ERROR. I do not see any error_details attribute in the
LoadBalancer code [3], so I am wondering where that attribute comes from?

Finally, I'm curious what operations can be performed on the LoadBalancer
if the operating_status is OFFLINE and the provisioning_status is ACTIVE.
First is this state possible? And second, can the LoadBalancer be
manipulated (i.e. add a Listener to the LoadBalancer) if it is in this
state?

[1]
http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-networking-v2-ext.html#lbaas-v2.0
[2]
http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-networking-v2-ext.html#showLoadBalancerv2
[3]
https://github.com/openstack/neutron-lbaas/blob/master/neutron_lbaas/services/loadbalancer/data_models.py#L503

 Thanks,

 BRYAN JONES
 Software Engineer - OpenStack Development

 Phone: 1-507-253-2620                                          IBM
 E-mail: jonesbr at us.ibm.com
 Find me on: LinkedIn:                                3605 Hwy 52 N
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjones17/      Rochester, MN 55901-1407
                                                      United States