[openstack-dev] [Fuel] PostgreSQL 9.3 and JSON operations

Igor Kalnitsky ikalnitsky at mirantis.com
Mon Dec 14 12:12:55 UTC 2015

Hi Fuelers,

As you might know, recently we moved to CentOS 7 and as a result we
got a small regression with PostgreSQL:

* Fuel 7 runs on CentOS 6.6 and uses  manually built PostgreSQL 9.3.
* Fuel 8 runs on CentOS 7 and uses PostgreSQL 9.2 from CentOS upstream repos.

There are different opinions whether this regression is acceptable or
not (see details in bug [1]).

The things I want to notice are:

* Currently we aren't tied up to PostgreSQL 9.3.
* There's a patch [2] that ties Fuel up to PostgreSQL 9.3+ by using a
set of JSON operations.

So the question is: Should we drop compatibility with upstream CentOS
7 in favor of using new features of PostgreSQL?

I've prepared a small poll, so please vote [3].

My opinion here is that I don't like that we're going to build and
maintain one more custom package (just take a look at this patch [4]
if you don't believe me), but I'd like to hear more opinion here.

Thanks,
Igor

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1523544
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/249656/