[openstack-dev] [neutron] - availability zone performance regression and discussion about added network field

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 02:10:39 UTC 2015

Hi all,

The availability zone code added a new field to the network API that shows
the availability zones of a network. This caused a pretty big performance
impact to get_networks calls because it resulted in a database lookup for
every network.[1]

I already put a patch up to join the information ahead of time in the
network model.[2] However, before we go forward with that, I think we
should consider the removal of that field from the API.

Having to always join to the DHCP agents table to lookup which zones a
network has DHCP agents on is expensive and is duplicating information
available with other API calls.

Additionally, the field is just called 'availability_zones' but it's being
derived solely from AZ definitions in DHCP agent bindings for that network.
To me that doesn't represent where the network is available, it just says
which zones its scheduled DHCP instances live in. If that's the purpose,
then we should just be using the DHCP agent API for this info and not
impact the network API.

Thoughts?

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1525740
2. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/257086/