[openstack-dev] [magnum] Containerize Flannel/Etcd

Daneyon Hansen (danehans) danehans at cisco.com
Thu Dec 10 21:20:47 UTC 2015

All,

As a follow-on from today's networking subteam meeting, I received additional feedback from the Kubernetes community about running Etcd and Flannel in a container. Etcd/Flannel were containerized to simply the N different ways that these services can be deployed. It simplifies Kubernetes documentation and reduces support requirements. Since our current approach of pkg+template has worked well, I suggest we do not containerize Etcd and Flannel [1]. IMO the benefits of containerizing these services does not outweigh the additional complexity of running a 2nd "bootstrap" Docker daemon.

Since our current Flannel version contains a bug [2] that breaks VXLAN, I suggest the Flannel package gets upgraded in all images running Flannel version 0.5.0 to 0.5.3.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/249503/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/magnum/+bug/1518602

Regards,
Daneyon Hansen