[openstack-dev] [all] [api] New release of Gabbi HTTP API Tester

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Dec 9 20:07:21 UTC 2015

In my continuing effort to make gabbi useful to the OpenStack
community I've released a new version (1.11.0) with a new feature.

Gabbi is a testing library that uses a YAML format to declare HTTP
API requests and their expected responses.

     https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gabbi

The new release add a feature that's been desired for a while but
wasn't implemented until today when krotscheck needed it to add some
tests of CORS support in Ceilometer. The feature confirms that a
forbidden header is not present in results. See
`response_forbidden_headers` in the docs:

     http://gabbi.readthedocs.org/en/latest/format.html#response-expectations

Thanks to him for providing the feedback to push things along and
inspiring the discussion that led to a reasonable solution.

In the OpenStack world gabbi is currently being used in ceilometer,
gnocchi and aodh for some functional tests of their APIs as well as an
integration test of heat, ceilometer, aodh and gnocchi. It makes such
things very readable and maintainable and most people rather like it
after giving it a shot.

If anyone is curious about using it in another project the code in
the projects listed above[1] can provide some guidance or look for me
(as cdent) in the #gabbi IRC channel or any of several openstack-*
channels.

Thanks!

[1] Gnocchi has quite a few good examples starting from the loader:
https://github.com/openstack/gnocchi/blob/master/gnocchi/tests/gabbi/test_gabbi.py
the required configuration fixture (establishes backend stuff):
https://github.com/openstack/gnocchi/blob/master/gnocchi/tests/gabbi/fixtures.py
and the yaml test files themselves:
https://github.com/openstack/gnocchi/tree/master/gnocchi/tests/gabbi/gabbits

--