[openstack-dev] [nova] jsonschema for scheduler hints

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 04:47:11 UTC 2015

Hi Sylvain,

>> That leaves the out-of-tree discussion about custom filters and how we
>> could have a consistent behaviour given that. Should we accept something in
>> a specific deployment while another deployment could 401 against it ? Mmm,
>> bad to me IMHO.
>
> We can have code to check the out-of-tree filters didn't expose any same
> hints with in-tree filter.
>
> Sure, and thank you for that, that was missing in the past. That said, there
> are still some interoperability concerns, let me explain : as a cloud
> operator, I'm now providing a custom filter (say MyAwesomeFilter) which does
> the lookup for an hint called 'my_awesome_hint'.
>
> If we enforce a strict validation (and not allow to accept any hint) it
> would mean that this cloud would accept a request with 'my_awesome_hint'
> while another cloud which wouldn't be running MyAwesomeFilter would then
> deny the same request.

I am thinking the operator/vendor own filter should have some
implementation code for registering its original hint to jsonschema to
expose/validate available hints in the future.
The way should be easy as possible so that they can implement the code easily.
After that, we will be able to make the validation strict again.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi