[openstack-dev] [release][all] bugs will now close automatically when patches merge

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 8 11:15:08 UTC 2015

Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08 2015, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
>> Quite a few projects were using the option to fix-release directly
>> already and behavior there doesn't change.
>
> That makes sense, indeed.
>
>> Could you detail what your workflow is ? How are you using FixCommitted
>> and FixReleased on projects not managed by the release team ?
>
> In Gnocchi, we use the "old" workflow of fix-commited/fix-released. We
> also use Launchpad series to matches branches, so for example in:
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnocchi/+bug/1513604
>
> we're able to track the patch both for master (where the fix is
> currently only commited) and in the 1.3 branch where the fix has now
> been released as part as 1.3.1.
>
> This is done manually since Gerrit/infra does not implement this AFAIK.
> It would be awesome to have some way to see that if I've a patch with
> Closes-Bug on stable/1.3, then it should add 1.3 series on the bug, etc.
> Since we have a low number of bugs in Gnocchi, I can allow me to do that
> manually for now.
>
> So I'm a bit afraid that the new way of doing things breaks this
> workflow we've been using and that has the upside of reflecting the
> state of bugs accurately.

So you're basically using Launchpad for change management, to track
which bugfix made it to which branch. The new direct-release system
doesn't affect your ability to track which fix made it to which branch
(you can still use "series" in Launchpad bugs). It just affects your
ability to track when a merged fix made it to a *release* using bug
statuses.

You can read the previous thread (which you apparently missed) where we
proposed and discussed this work, but TL;DR: is that this was highly
unreliable (we turned every FixCommitted bugs into FixReleased bugs
without checking that they all actually were fixed in the release). In
the new system we replace it by a comment posted when the git history
for a given release really includes a bugfix, which is accurate. So you
can still "see" on a Launchpad bug when a bugfix made it to a release,
you just don't use bug statuses to encode that. That lets people use
Launchpad purely as a task tracker if they want to, while still
providing the same level of information to bug subscribers.

Finally, as mentioned in my other email in this thread, you can still
opt out of this new model if it doesn't work for you, by setting
"delay-release" in gerrit/projects.yaml for your project and then
setting bugs to FixReleased yourself manually.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)