[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [keystone] Removing functionality that was deprecated in Kilo and upcoming deprecated functionality in Mitaka

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:59:07 UTC 2015

On Dec 7, 2015 17:51, "Brant Knudson" <blk at acm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:57 AM, Steve Martinelli <stevemar at ca.ibm.com>
wrote:

>> Trying to summarize here...
>>
>> - There isn't much interest in keeping eventlet around.
>> - Folks are OK with running keystone in a WSGI server, but feel they are
constrained by Apache.
>> - uWSGI could help to support multiple web servers.
>>
>> My opinion:
>>
>> - Adding support for uWSGI definitely sounds like it's worth
investigating, but not achievable in this release (unless someone already
has something cooked up).

> What needs to change to support uWSGI? You can already run keystone in
python uwsgi and then front it with nginx:

>  $ uwsgi --socket 127.0.0.1:5001 --wsgi-file $(which
keystone-wsgi-public) --honour-stdin --enable-threads --workers 6
>  $ uwsgi --socket 127.0.0.1:35358 --wsgi-file $(which
keystone-wsgi-admin) --honour-stdin --enable-threads --workers 6

>  $ sudo vi /etc/nginx/sites-available/keystone
>
> server {
>   listen 5000 default_server;
>   server_name localhost;
>   location / {
>     include uwsgi_params;
>     uwsgi_pass 127.0.0.1:5001;
>     uwsgi_param SCRIPT_NAME /;
>   }
> }
> server {
>   listen 35357 default_server;
>   server_name localhost;
>   location / {
>     include uwsgi_params;
>     uwsgi_pass 127.0.0.1:35358;
>     uwsgi_param SCRIPT_NAME /;
>   }
> }
>
>  $ sudo ln -x /etc/nginx/sites-available/keystone
/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/

>  $ sudo nginx
>
> and then you can make your regular curl calls.
>
> Also, you can run keystone with regular http in python uwsgi (uwsgi
--http) and then just do normal reverse proxy (from Apache or nginx or
whatever), which I think would be adequate for keystone.

> We don't do anything in keystone to stop deployments in web servers other
than Apache. Keystone is just a regular wsgi app. We document Apache since
it's popular and it provides mod_shib, which is the only saml2 module for
web servers that I know of. Keystone can work with other saml2 modules and
in different servers, it just takes the environment variables that the
module sets and runs it through some mapping code. The mapping code has
been shown to work alternative authentication modules (for ldap and
kerberos).

Recently I  looked and there seemed to be a similar module for nginx but I
don't know how mature it is. It might be worth exploring with more
discussion on alternatives to apache.