[openstack-dev] Documentation containing external resource links & privacy breaches

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Dec 7 18:37:20 UTC 2015

On 12/07/2015 06:07 PM, Cory Benfield wrote:

>> On 7 Dec 2015, at 16:10, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Cory,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for this patch.
>>
>> If I understand well, in Debian, I'd have to remove the:
>>
>> [options]
>> analytics_tracking_code = UA-17511903-1
>>
>> from the default theme.conf to make the GA code go away. Right? Would
>> there be a way so that I could set an environment variable instead of
>> patching the file, which is always a pain?
>
> You don’t need to remove that, you set it in `html_theme_options` in the conf.py for the relevant docs. That’s a fairly simple patch, but if the docs theme people are open to having an environment variable we could set up the default conf.py appropriately.
>
> NB: You’d want html_theme_options to be set to:
>
> html_theme_options = {
>     ‘analytics_tracking_code’: ‘'
> }

Ok, got you. :)

Though, if currently, I just have to patch openstackdocstheme (meaning,
a single patch), now, with what you're suggesting, I'd have to modify
each and every *user* of the theme, meaning I'd have to patch each and
every packages to have the correct conf.py file. That's unfortunately
not very practical.

The reason why I'd like an env var, is that I could simply modify
openstack-pkg-tools (which is included in every debian/rules) to set
that variable once and for all. For example, just adding in
openstack-pkt-tools's pkgos.make:

export OPENSTACKDOCSTHEME_SELF_CONTAINED=yes

would do the trick for all my packages.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)