[openstack-dev] [client][all][neutron] client option removal policy

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Mon Dec 7 12:24:02 UTC 2015

On 07/12/15 12:01, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> neutronclient is now dropping XML support and as a result
> "--request-format" option is no longer needed as JSON is the only format now.
>
> What is the recommended way for options no longer needed?
> Does bumping major version of CLI allow us to drop an option without
> deprecation?
>
> - Deprecate such option.
>   The option still exists with only one available choiceuntil the
> option is deleted.
>
> - Drop it without deprecation.
>   This breaks users who uses "--requiest-format json", but 'json' is the default
>   value and most users do not specify the option.

I'd say it depends on how the deprecation of '--request-format xml' was
announced.  If it said

"XML format is deprecated and will be removed in a future release.  The
only supported format will then be JSON, and so the --request-format
option will also be removed"

then the option can clearly be removed now.

How was it announced?  If I look at
http://docs.openstack.org/cli-reference/content/neutronclient_commands.html,
I see many occurrences of

*--request-format {json,xml}*

    The XML or JSON request format.

**

without anything to say that XML is deprecated.  And I see many other
things in the same page that _are_ marked as "DEPRECATED!"  So, if I was
reading this documentation, I would not know that XML format is deprecated.

Regards,
    Neil