[openstack-dev] [ironic] RFC: stop using launchpad milestones and blueprints

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Dec 7 09:48:46 UTC 2015

Dmitry Tantsur wrote:

> <mailto:doug at doughellmann.com>>:
>
>     Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2015-12-04 17:38:43 +0100:
>     > Hi!
>     >
>     > As you all probably know, we've switched to reno for managing release
>     > notes. What it also means is that the release team has stopped managing
>     > milestones for us. We have to manually open/close milestones in
>     > launchpad, if we feel like. I'm a bit tired of doing it for inspector,
>     > so I'd prefer we stop it. If we need to track release-critical patches,
>     > we usually do it in etherpad anyway. We also have importance fields for
>     > bugs, which can be applied to both important bugs and important features.
>     >
>     > During a quick discussion on IRC Sam mentioned that neutron also dropped
>     > using blueprints for tracking features. They only use bugs with RFE tag
>     > and specs. It makes a lot of sense to me to do the same, if we stop
>     > tracking milestones.
>     >
>     > For both ironic and ironic-inspector I'd like to get your opinion on the
>     > following suggestions:
>     > 1. Stop tracking milestones in launchpad
>     > 2. Drop existing milestones to avoid confusion
>
>     Please don't delete anything older than Mitaka.
>

> Do you have any hints how to not confuse users in this case?

I think what Doug means is you should not delete existing closed
milestones like:
https://launchpad.net/ironic/kilo/2015.1.0
or:
https://launchpad.net/ironic/liberty/4.2.0
since we use the Launchpad pages there as the list of features and bugs
fixed for those pre-reno releases.

Deleting those milestones would lose useful user information for no
gain: you can't use them anymore (since they are closed) so they are
unlikely to confuse anyone ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)