[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] [ironic] Picking an official name for a subproject (ironic-inspector in this case)

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 13:45:29 UTC 2015

Hi everyone!

I'd like to get guidance on how to pick an official name (e.g. appearing
in keystone catalog or used in API versioning headers) for a subproject
of an official project.

Specifically, I'm talking about ironic-inspector, which is a auxiliary
service under the bare metal program. My first assumption is to prefix
with ironic's official name, so it should be something like
'baremetal-XXX' or 'baremetal XXX'. Is it correct? Which separator is
preferred?

Next step is choosing the XXX part. The process we implement in
ironic-inspector is usually referred to as "baremetal introspection" or
"baremetal inspection". The former is used for our OSC plugin, so I
think our official name should be one of
1. "baremetal<SEPARATOR>introspection" - named after the process we
implement
2. "baremetal<SEPARATOR>inspector" - using our code name after the
official ironic project name.

WDYT? Any suggestions are welcome.

Dmitry

P.S.
This topic was raised by https://review.openstack.org/#/c/253493/ but
also appeared in the microversioning discussion.